Getting started with Adobe Digital Editions
Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) is free software that lets you add eBooks from a public library, eBooks from another store, or eBooks from the Kobo Store that are protected by Digital Rights Management (DRM) to your Kobo eReader.
DRM prevents the unauthorized copying or redistribution of eBooks to protect the rights of authors and publishers. If you downloaded a book protected by DRM, you’ll get a license in the form of an .acsm file with your book. You'll then use ADE to add the DRM-protected content to your eReader.
- Install Adobe Digital Editions.
- Get an Adobe ID.
- Authorize your computer and eReader with ADE.
You'll need to use ADE when you want to:
- Read an eBook that you've borrowed from the library.
- Read a protected PDF file you've purchased from the Kobo bookstore.
Some books in the Kobo bookstore may be in PDF format which requires ADE to load the PDF files onto your eReader.
If you use a Kobo eReader or Kobo’s reading apps, you may never need to use ADE. Kobo’s reading apps and eReaders can automatically download and open most books from the Kobo Store.
Step 1: Install Adobe Digital Editions
Install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on your PC or Mac to transfer Digital Rights Management (DRM)-protected content onto your Kobo eReader.
- Download ADE from www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions/downloads.html.
- Find the ADE installation file on your computer.
- Open the ADE installation file.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to install Adobe Digital Editions.
Step 2: Create an Adobe ID
Once you’ve installed Adobe Digital Editions, you’ll need to create an Adobe ID. If you already have an Adobe ID, skip to Step 3.
- With Adobe Digital Editions open, click Help at the top of the screen.
- Click Authorize Computer.
Click Create an Adobe ID in the Authorization window.
- Make sure the checkbox beside I want to Authorize my computer without an ID is cleared, and not selected.
- Beside the eBook Vendor dropdown menu, make sure Adobe ID is selected.
Fill in the appropriate text boxes and click Sign Up.
- Your Adobe ID is the email address that you used to sign up.
- Your Adobe password is the password you used to create the account.
- You can use your Adobe ID and Adobe password immediately after you've created it.
Step 3: Authorize your computer with Adobe Digital Editions
After you’ve installed Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) and created an Adobe ID, you’ll need to authorize your computer with ADE. You only need to do this once.
- With Adobe Digital Editions open, enter your Adobe ID and password that you've just created.
Click OK when Adobe finishes authorizing your computer.
Step 4: Add books to your eReader using Adobe Digital Editions
If you downloaded a book protected by Digital Rights Management (DRM), you’ll get a license with your book. The license is also known as a .acsm file. When you download a DRM-protected eBook, you'll need to download a file that has .acsm at the end of the file name. Your library should be able to provide you instructions on how you can download the .acsm file. To get the book itself, just open that file in Adobe Digital Editions (ADE). ADE will verify your license, and then download your eBook in either EPUB or PDF format.
- Turn on your eReader.
- Connect your eReader to your computer using a Micro USB cable.
Tap Connect on your eReader.
Open Adobe Digital Editions, then follow the steps below:
- Under 'Devices', right-click on Kobo eReader and click Authorize Device. If you don't see 'Kobo eReader' under Devices, close Adobe Digital Editions, then open it again.
- Click Authorize.
- Click on File at the top of the screen.
- Click Add to Library. A browse window will appear.
On a PC: Click the "E-Books" drop-down menu, and select Adobe Content Server Message. On a Mac: Beside the "Show" drop-down menu, select ACSM Files.
- Locate the .acsm file that you downloaded from Kobo.
- Select the .acsm file you downloaded from Kobo, then click Add. The book will open.
- Click Library at the top of the screen to go back to the ADE home screen.
- Select your new book and drag it to the Kobo eReader bookshelf (listed on the left side under Devices).
- Eject your eReader from the computer, and unplug the Micro USB cable from your eReader. The book will appear in your Library.
Re-authorizing your eReader
If you've followed all the steps above and still cannot load the DRM-protected PDF onto your eReader, you may need to re-authorize your eReader with the correct ADE sign in. If you have multiple Adobe Digital Editions accounts, make sure you are signed in to the correct one.
In order for you to sign in to Adobe Digital Editions with a different ID, you'll need to re-authorize your eReader.