Getting started with Adobe Digital Editions
Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) is free software that lets you add eBooks from a public library, eBooks from another store, or eBooks from the Kobo Store that are protected by Digital Rights Management (DRM) to your Kobo eReader.
DRM prevents the unauthorized copying or redistribution of eBooks to protect the rights of authors and publishers. If you downloaded a book protected by DRM, you’ll get a license in the form of an .acsm file with your book. You'll then use ADE to add the DRM-protected content to your eReader.
- Install Adobe Digital Editions.
- Get an Adobe ID.
- Authorize your computer and eReader with ADE.
You'll need to use ADE when you want to:
- Read an eBook that you've borrowed from the library.
- Read a protected PDF file you've purchased from the Kobo bookstore.
Some books in the Kobo bookstore may be in PDF format which requires ADE to load the PDF files onto your eReader.
If you use a Kobo eReader or Kobo’s reading apps, you may never need to use ADE. Kobo’s reading apps and eReaders can automatically download and open most books from the Kobo Store.
Installing Adobe Digital Editions
Install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on your PC or Mac to transfer Digital Rights Management (DRM)-protected content onto your Kobo eReader.
- Download ADE from www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions/downloads.html.
- Find the ADE installation file on your computer.
- Open the ADE installation file.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to install Adobe Digital Editions.
Creating an Adobe ID
Once you’ve installed Adobe Digital Editions, you’ll need to create an Adobe ID.
- With Adobe Digital Editions open, click Help at the top of the screen.
- Click Authorize Computer.
Click Create an Adobe ID in the Authorization window.
- Make sure the checkbox beside I want to Authorize my computer without an ID is cleared, and not selected.
- Beside the eBook Vendor dropdown menu, make sure Adobe ID is selected.
Fill in the appropriate text boxes and click Sign Up.
- Your Adobe ID is the email address that you used to sign up.
- Your Adobe password is the password you used to create the account.
- You can use your Adobe ID and Adobe password immediately after you've created it.
Authorizing your computer with Adobe Digital Editions
After you’ve installed Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) and created an Adobe ID, you’ll need to authorize your computer with ADE. You only need to do this once.
- With Adobe Digital Editions open, enter your Adobe ID and password that you've just created.
Click OK when Adobe finishes authorizing your computer.
Adding books to your eReader using Adobe Digital Editions
If you downloaded a book protected by Digital Rights Management (DRM), you’ll get a license with your book. The license is also known as a .acsm file. When you download a DRM-protected eBook, you'll need to download a file that has .acsm at the end of the file name. Your library should be able to provide you instructions on how you can download the .acsm file. To get the book itself, just open that file in Adobe Digital Editions (ADE). ADE will verify your license, and then download your eBook in either EPUB or PDF format.
- Turn on your eReader.
- Connect your eReader to your computer using a Micro USB cable.
Tap Connect on your eReader.
On your computer:
- Go to the folder where your eBook (the .acsm file) is saved.
- Double-click the .acsm file. The book will open in ADE.
Click Library at the top of the screen.
Click All Items under the Bookshelves menu.
- Select your new book and drag it to the Kobo eReader bookshelf (listed on the left side under Devices).
- Eject your eReader from the computer, and unplug the Micro USB cable from your eReader. The book will appear in your Library.