Troubleshooting missing books
If you purchased a book from the kobo.com but can’t find it or open it in your Kobo library, there are a few things you should try.
- Sync your eReader with Wi Fi.
- Sync your eReader with Kobo Desktop.
- Sync your Kobo eBooks app on iOS, Android, or Windows on your phone or tablet.
- If you have more than one Kobo account, make sure the account you’re signed in to is the same account you used to buy the book.
- Sign out and sign back in to your Kobo account on your eReader
- Sign out and sign back in to your Kobo eBooks app on iOS, Android, or Windows.
- Confirm the book format you purchased is compatible with your eReader or Kobo app.
- If you're seeing a content error, click here.
- If you're having another issue with your book, click here.
Syncing your Kobo eReader over Wi Fi
Follow these instructions to read your newly purchased book from kobo.com on your Kobo eReader. You'll need access to an active Wi Fi connection before you start.
Go to your Home screen.
Tap the Sync icon at the top of the screen.
Tap Sync now.
- If you are within range of a known network, your eReader automatically joins that network and will begin syncing.
- If you are not within range of a known network, your eReader will begin the Adding a Network process.
Syncing your Kobo eReader with Kobo Desktop
You can also sync your Kobo eReader by connecting it to your computer with Kobo Desktop. Your computer should be connected to the internet before you sync.To download Kobo Desktop, visit kobosetup.com.
- Connect your eReader to your computer using a Micro USB cable and tap Connect.
- Open Kobo Desktop on your computer.
- If you're not already signed in to your Kobo account, click the Profile icon at the top of your screen and sign in.
- Click the Sync icon.
Your eReader will sync and update with the latest books.
- Click the Eject button at the top of the screen to disconnect your eReader from your computer.
Re-downloading a book to your Kobo eReader
Removing a book and re-downloading it will often solve problems with books. You should have access to a stable Wi Fi connection so that you can re-download books onto your eReader.
- Go to your Home screen.
- Tap the Menu icon at the top of the screen.
- Tap My Books.
- Press and hold the cover or title of the book. A dialog box will appear.
- Tap Remove.
- Ensure the checkbox beside eReader or Remove download is checked.
- Tap Remove.
The book will be removed from your eReader.
- From your Library, tap the cover to download the book again.
Signing out and signing back in to your eReader
Try signing out and signing back in to your eReader if you're having trouble with your books.
Sync your eReader before continuing, so that you don't lose the most recent bookmarks, notes, or highlights that you added to your books.
- Go to your Home screen.
- Tap Home at the top of the screen.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Accounts.
- Under Kobo, tap Sign out.
- Tap Sign out.
Checking the format of books for sale on kobo.com
Most books for sale on kobo.com are in EPUB format, which you can sync to your device immediately after purchase. There are also PDF books available for purchase, which you can manually add to your device.
Identifying an eBook's format
Most Kobo eReaders support EPUB, EPUB2, EPUB3, PDF, and MOBI formats. Kobo Original, Kobo Wireless, and Kobo Vox devices do not support EPUB3. Learn how to read EPUB3 files.
While shopping on kobo.com, look at the bottom of an eBook or magazine's item detail page. Under eBook Details or Magazine Details, you'll see the title's format next to Download options.
You'll usually see thumbnail pictures of devices and apps that are compatible with your eBook. If you don't see any thumbnails, that's because the eBook is in PDF format, so you'll need to add it to your Library manually.
Adding a PDF book to your Kobo eReader or tablet
If you've purchased a PDF eBook from the Kobo Store, there are several ways you can add it to your Kobo Library on your eReader. Learn how to add PDFs using Adobe Digital Editions, your computer, or a Micro SD card.
You can add PDFs to your Kobo tablet from your computer using a third party app from the Google Play Store, such as Adobe Acrobat.