Embrace the mobile gaming revolution by creating popular iOS Games with Swift 3.0
About This Book
- Create and design games for iPhone and iPad using SpriteKit and Swift 3.0
- Learn the core fundamentals of SpriteKit game development and mix and match techniques to customize your game
- This step-by-step practical guide will teach you to build games from scratch using the little-known tips and strategies
Who This Book Is For
If you wish to create and publish fun iOS games using Swift, then this book is for you. You should be familiar with basic programming concepts. However, no prior game development or Apple ecosystem experience is required.
What you will learn
- Deliver powerful graphics, physics, and sound in your game by using SpriteKit
- Set up the scene using the new capabilities of the scene editor and custom classes
- Use Tile Sets to draw Backgrounds
- Maximize gameplay with little-known tips and strategies for fun and repeatable action
- Make use of animations, graphics, and particles to design your game
- Understand the current mobile monetization landscape to choose the best option for your own situation
- Integrate your game with Game Center so that your players can share their high scores and achievements
Swift combined with Spritekit is the perfect choice for game development. With the announcement of Swift 3.0, developers are intrigued and want to make use of this programming language to develop games. Packed with best practices and easy-to-use examples, this book leads you step by step through the development of your first Swift game.
This book starts by introducing Spritekit and Swift's new features that can be used for game development. After setting up your first Swift project, you will build your first custom class, Sprite, learn to draw and animate your game. You will then add physics bodies, manipulate basic properties, and apply impulses for targeted sprite movement.
You will further add the player character and NPCs, and implement controls. To make your game more fun and engaging, you'll see how to set up the scenes and backgrounds, include fun menus, and integrate with Apple Game Center to add leaderboards and achievements. You will then make your game stand out by adding animations when game objects collide, and incorporate proven techniques such as the advanced particle system and graphics. Finally, you will explore the various options available to start down the path towards monetization and then publish your finished games to the App Store.
By the end of this book, you will be able to create your own iOS games using Swift and SpriteKit
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: